Tuesday, August 30, 2016

Pros at Cons



What is it with superheroes and sci fi that make it so enticing? I'm pretty sure most of us have their own favorites. Be it Marvel, DC, Star Wars or whatever. 

Me, I'm more of a Star Wars fan above everything else (yep, I like a lot of other things too but man, Star Wars just gives me goosebumps - the good kind). And lately I've been free enough to attend a couple of conventions here in our place. Which isn't an easy thing to do, to be honest. You have to get on a plane to get there, even if it's just a 1-hour flight. But aside from my love for Star Wars, I also like taking photographs of the displays (I took the Deadpool ones above) and just hanging out having a good time going around and watching cosplayers and other people have fun. A cheerful ambience makes for a cheerful mood, see. 

Most of my travels are self-gratifying. And to be honest I haven't ever felt regret in going on any of them. I think I did deserve it. They also are an escape to whatever is happening back home. One thing I would want though, is someone to accompany me. Last weekend there was a convention and I asked my best friend to tag along. Last time it was my brother, which took a bit of convincing. I'll be looking for company again next time since there's another convention scheduled in 2 months. I mean, there are a lot of them going on but I have to control myself, limit and choose which ones I go to because the air fare even for such a quick flight is no joke. 

What else. Ah. It's also the time where you get to handpick the merchandise you want. Living out here meant I always had to order the good stuff online. But when you're there, there's no need to contemplate about what it might look in actual instead of pictures because you're already present. You can touch, look, inspect all you want - plus, you can talk yourself out of it if it doesn't satisfy you and you can carry on looking for something else. The availability and diversity of what you can buy is also a plus. Say, you have a few bucks to spare, it's easy to go take a look around and see what you can get without having to worry about shipping fees.

You can say that cons are one of my happy places. There's a lot to see and a lot to do, they keep your mind busy and off of things that bring you down.

No comments:

Post a Comment