Saturday, August 20, 2016

The Meaning Behind the Name

Just a random photo to get your attention. And yes, I like Gundam. I took this, by the way.

So, if you can see there at the top, this blog is entitled: Life and Misadventures from a First-Order Ambidextrous. Now I don't have to explain the life and misadventures part since it seems almost like a cliche line (or not). The First-Order in the title is believe it or not, from Star Wars. If you've watched episode 7, it is what's left of the Empire or at least a group who still dwell in the path of the dark side. But! I have to say, I am not a big fan of the First Order - just that it's the Star Wars film I was old enough to fully immerse myself in. I've watched the previous six, but let's be honest they were shown light years ago.

Now, I have a little something to say about Star Wars. Sure the films are nice, but the lore is even better. If you haven't heard of Darth Revan or The Old Republic or even Darth Nihilus I'm sorry but perhaps you're just contented with the films. Me though, I love the story of The Old Republic (there's a game with the same name, you should try it) especially Revan. I won't dive into the details but the main point here is that it's not just about the Skywalkers. Ugh, that quote that's almost everywhere that Star Wars is just about one family fucking up the entire galaxy. Um, nope. Not really. Please. It grinds my gears.

Anyway I might post about games and anime and stuff so look I'm looking forward to finally get my thoughts out there.

Moving on, now this is important. I'm a natural ambidextrous (yes it's that complicated last word in the title). See, about 10% of the population is left-handed which is rare but only 1% of all the people in the world are natural ambidextrous or both-handed or can use both for dominant-hand things like writing, using scissors, holding a racket or racquet or bat or whatever else in sports. Why did I say natural ambidextrous is because there are those left-handed people who were trained to use their right hand in certain things coz you know, right hand is the normal conventional way. These people who were originally left-handed can now use right hand dominance through training which make them ambidextrous but not the natural kind.

I know what you're gonna say, what makes you so sure that you're part of that 1% you showoff?

Well first of all, I wasn't even aware that I was one until my parents and teachers told me. I thought I was a lefty, but I wasn't trained to hold my utensils the "right" way and my dominant hand/side in sports is and was on my right. Then I found out that in kindergarten I used to use both my hands in writing and coloring - when I'd get tired of using my left, I'd switch and use my right. I also noticed it when I played tennis in grade school that instead of using backhand I would impulsively throw my racket to my left hand and then later the same thing happens in badminton and table tennis. So I discovered that I can write fairly well with my right hand and the reason why I use my left more is because when you write the direction is left to right - my left hand pushed the pen, that it would be a pain and inconvenience if I used my right hand since it's be like, going reverse. It's quite funny actually. I can write using both hands at the same time though, it's cool but it just looks plain awkward.

That's it. Hope you learned something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment